One of the most important challenges for
Rather than it’s best to find an ERP software solution that will help to manage Schedules and Limits. Additionally, to all the other regulatory requirements within the pharmaceutical world like Suspicious Order Monitoring, Lot Tracking, and more. Basically, this
Overview of Scheduled Drugs
In the US, all drugs, substances, and certain chemicals used to make drugs are classified into 5 distinct categories. These Schedules are supported on the drugs’ acceptable medical use and therefore the drug’s abuse or dependency (addiction) potential. There are 5 categories (Schedules I through V) starting with Schedule I drugs which have a high potential for abuse and may cause severe psychological dependence, to Schedule V drugs which have the lowest potential for abuse. Common examples of drugs found under each Schedule are as follows:
Schedule I DRUGS:
Some familiar drugs assigned a schedule 1 class include:
Schedule II DRUGS:
Some familiar drugs in the schedule 2 class include:
- Hydrocodone (Vicodin)
- Meperidine (Demerol)
Schedule III DRUGS:
- Anabolic steroids
- Buprenorphine (Suboxone)
- Codeine and hydrocodone products mixed with aspirin or acetaminophen
Schedule IV DRUGS:
Schedule V DRUGS:
While the DEA will assign all drugs a Schedule, these Schedules can be changed later and every state can prefer to change the Schedule of a product, as long as it’s never lesser than the Schedule assigned by the DEA. Some produce other specific regulations around drug Schedules. For instance, some states require that any distributor wishing to sell Scheduled drugs in that state must have its “NABP Drug Distributor Accreditation. Having this accreditation is similar to being ISO Certified but in the pharmaceutical industry.
Managing Scheduled Drugs with Pharma ERP
To help simplify drug inventory management, Meta-Pharma (Pharmaceutical ERP) provides many great features in our Pharmaceutical ERP software to maintain accurate information and meet regulations. For pharmaceutical distributors dealing with Scheduled products, Meta-Pharma (Pharmaceutical ERP) ERP allows you to.
- Allot Schedules for both DEA/Federal and States (as applicable) to each product/NDC
- Allot Licenses to each customer ship-to location with expiration dates, track State License information if applicable, and record all associated Schedules the customer can purchase under the specified Licenses
- Inform the software used when a customer’s License is close to its expiration
- If a user changes the ship-to location for an order, Meta-Pharma (Pharmaceutical ERP) performs a re-calculation to determine if the new ship-to has an acceptable License and if not, the system removes the products from the Sales Order. This includes Sales Orders coming from Meta-Pharma’s B2B Online Order Portal which gets automatically re-calculated to ensure active Licenses each time.
To further verify license information. Meta-Pharma performs an acceptable License check every time a process is to perform a Sales Order.
As you can see, using
For more information about the Pharmaceutical ERP solution and a tailored demonstration