Navigating Dynamics GP can be hard whether you are a new or seasoned user. So, let’s take a look at some ways to make your life a little easier through the Navigation Pane. The Navigation Pane allows you to move about Dynamics GP without using the menus. Need some help in this area?
Here are 4 Tips
Tip #1 - Custom Module Lists
One of the best things about using the Navigation Pane is that you can customize it for each user. This makes it easy for users to move from one window to another or access the modules they use most.
To modify your Navigation Pane, follow these steps.
1. Expand the Navigation Pane Options window by clicking the Configure button and then Navigation Pane Options... to open the window.
2. In the Navigation Pane Options window, unmark the modules you don’t need and mark any modules you wish to add.
3. Use the Move Up and Move Down buttons to order the modules in a more convenient way for you.
4. Click OK to save your changes.
Extend the module section by dragging the bar up and exposing more modules or dragging it down to see fewer modules.
Tip #2 - Custom Navigation List
As you select a module from the list, the Actions section above changes with each module. You see the actions you can perform from the list. For example, if you click the Inventory module, you see Items, Item Transactions, Reports, and more.
Click on any of these Actions and Dynamics GP redisplays a listing of data specific to what you selected. In this example, when Checkbooks is selected, we see the list of Checkbooks in Dynamics GP for the company.
Now that we have a list of records, we could go another step further and create a custom list. For example, find unposted transactions in Dynamics GP for the month or year-end processes.
Create a New List
First create a new action list that is specific to the records you are trying to return.
- From the Navigation Pane, select Purchasing and then select Payables Transactions from your Actions list.
- From the list title, click the drop-down and select Save As.
- When prompted, enter the name ‘Payables Transactions – Unposted’ and then click OK.
Add the Status Column
In this example, we want to see transactions that have not been posted so those transactions are in a Work status. By default, the Status column is not in the list, so we need to add it.
- Click on the new list and wait for the records to populate.
- From the Payables Transaction – Unposted list, click the drop-down and select Customize.
- In the List View Customization window, click the expansion arrow next to Columns.
- In the Column Details window, mark the Status check box and then click OK.
- Back in the List View Customization window, click Save.
Create a Restriction
Now that we have the Status column in the list, we want to see only those records in a Work status, so we need to restrict the records to only those records with that Status.
In the Payables Transactions – Unposted list, click Add Filter.
Make the necessary selections to create the filter. It should look something like this:
Click the Apply Filter button (the arrow at the end of the filter) to refresh the records.
For more specific results, you could add additional columns or filters, such as Document Type or Date.
Save the List
After you have added any other columns or filters, save the list so you can use it again in the future. From the List title, click the drop-down and select Save.
Using the Actions List, you can perform your processes right from the Navigation Pane. Continuing with the Payables Transaction – Unposted, post transactions from here by following these steps.
- Make sure you have clicked on the Payables Transactions – Unposted list.
- Mark the check box for those records you wish to post.
- From the ribbon, click the Post drop-down and then click the Post button.
- When prompted, print the posting journals.
- Refresh the screen by hitting Ctrl + R on the keyboard or from the Payables Transactions – Unposted menu.
The records that posted no longer appear in the list. When you post from the Navigation List, you can post any transaction without having to specify the batch. If you post transactions that were in a batch, the batch remains in the system if other transactions still exist in that batch.
You may create a list of unposted transactions for each of the modules you use following the same steps in each module. You then have a quick way to access your transactions when you need to identify and post specific records. Since you can also print reports from here as well, it makes it easier to find your records rather than trying to research and find them in a batch.
Tip #3 - Adding a Shortcut
You may want to add an Action List to the Navigation Pane Home screen. There are a couple of ways to do this.
From the List
In this example, we are adding the list we created above to the Home screen.
- Select Purchasing from the list.
- In the Purchasing Actions List, right-click Payables Transactions – Unposted.
- Click Add to Shortcuts.
- From the Module list, click Home.
You see Payables Transactions – Unposted has been added to the list.
From the Window
In this example, we are adding the Customer Maintenance window to the Home list.
- Go to Cards | Sales | Customer.
- From the ribbon, click File and then click Add to Shortcuts.
- From the Module list, click Home.
You see Customer Maintenance has been added to the list.
Tip #4 - Hide Navigation Pane
There may be times where you don’t want to see the Navigation Pane at all. You can hide the Navigation Pane by clicking the Layout button and unmarking the Navigation Pane option.
To add the Navigation Pane back, repeat the same steps by marking it to add the check mark back.
The Navigation Pane is a hidden gem in Dynamics GP. There is so much you can do with it and it adds efficiency to your daily processes.
About Rockton Software
Work Simpler & Easier® isn’t just a catchy motto. It’s a lifestyle.
Rockton Software is a virtual company with employees in seven states and its headquarters in Erie, Colorado. Serving over 100,000 users worldwide, Rockton Software supports innovation by offering Microsoft Dynamics add-ons for all industries. Whether you’re in need of auditing, pricing, searching, reporting, or general user enhancements, we’ve got the solution for you!
Here are some ways you can learn more and get connected: