Office 365 is a powerful software suite. One of its most useful aspects is the
Once these teams are created, communication between coworkers is fast and easy. That said, one issue that many organizations run into is the fact that both Office 365 Groups and Microsoft Teams are dependent upon the cloud in order to function. The upshot of this? It can be a real challenge to integrate your Office 365 Groups and Microsoft Teams with your organization’s Active Directory groups.
Traditionally, any attempt to merge Office 365 with your company’s Active Directory groups would hit a brick wall. Of course, it’s perfectly possible to sync your Active Directory groups with Azure AD -- but attempting to then enable those groups in Office 365 or Microsoft Teams was bound to fail.
But not anymore.
Combining Active Directory Groups with
Some time ago here at JourneyTEAM, we had a client who was ready to make the switch to Office 365. Unfortunately, they had all sorts of Active Directory Groups that already existed in their system, and they couldn’t afford to lose those groups during the transition process. It seemed that the only alternative would involve manually creating all sorts of new groups and users in Microsoft Teams. But, this introduced the issue of a lack of connectivity between the two: if a user changed in Active Directory, it wouldn’t result in any corresponding change in Office 365.
We’d run into this issue before, and we decided to create a custom fix for our clients.
With JourneyTEAM’s help, your organization can:
- Ensure that all existing AD groups are leveraged
- Move your AD groups over to Office 365 with ease
- Rest easy knowing that any changes to AD groups will be reflected in Office 365
Behind the Scenes
Building this custom solution took some creative thinking on the part of our PowerShell scripting team. After careful consideration, we created a PowerShell script which harnesses the power of Azure AD to fully automate all of the above.
Here’s how it works:
- To begin, the PowerShell script looks at an Active Directory group and writes a specific value into each user’s extensionAttributeXX.
- With this out of the way, the script looks for any matching groups in Office 365. If it can’t find a group that matches, it automatically creates a new one in MicrosoftTeams.
- From there, Azure AD Connect sends the extensionAttributeXX over to Azure AD, which then proceeds to write users into the new Microsoft Teams group.
- Lastly, the script takes note of any changes to a user’s extensionAttributeXX in Active Directory. If changes occur, it updates the user in Office 365 accordingly.
While this solution wasn’t easy to build, it works flawlessly for the end user! Everything is automatic, and you never have to worry about duplicate groups or missing users.
Keep reading to learn more.
Call JourneyTEAM Now
It’s time to leverage your Active Directory groups in Office 365, and JourneyTEAM is here to make it happen!
Article by: Dave Bollard - National Director of Marketing
JourneyTEAM is an award-winning consulting firm with proven technology and measurable results. They take Microsoft products; Dynamics 365, SharePoint intranet, Office 365, Azure, CRM, GP, NAV, SL, AX, and modify them to work for you. The team has expert level, Microsoft Gold certified consultants that dive deep into the dynamics of your organization and solve complex issues. They have solutions for sales, marketing, productivity, collaboration, analytics, accounting, security and more.