Recording Vendor Refunds can sometimes be challenging. Have you ever wanted to record a vendor refund from a vendor under the actual Vendor in GP? Well you can, and here’s how.
Of course, you can record it under the banking module if you are only concerned about updating the checkbook. But here is how we can enter it in GP so it updates the Vendor and the Checkbook at the same time.
In this scenario, I have received a refund of $750.00 from my Federal Express vendor. They did not send a credit, but a check payable to my company.
In the Payables module I am going to enter a “Return”.
1. Select the Document Type of “Return.”
2. Select your Vendor.
3. Enter the Date.
4. Enter a document number. You may elect to use the Check Number of the refund.
5. Enter the value of the refund on the “Returns” field.
6. Enter the value of the refund on the “Cash” field.
7. Accept the defaults, but make sure it’s the checkbook you want the funds to go to.
8. Click on Distributions.
9. Make sure you credit the appropriate account and the Debit will be to cash.
10. Save to a batch or Post the transaction immediately.
You will notice when you do an Inquiry on your Vendor, there is a “Return” entry that has gone to History.
Purchasing>Inquiry>Transaction by Vendor
Now we must update the checkbook for reconciliation purposes.
1. Select your Checkbook
2. Enter the correct date
3. Mark the box against the item the represents the refund
4. Post the transaction
You will now see this entry in your Checkbook as a deposit.
To learn more on "Recording Vendor Refunds" in Microsoft Dynamics GP, contact
Blog written by: Vickie Bell, Dynamics GP Sr. Consultant at
2 thoughts on “Dynamics GP - Recording Vendor Refunds”
I followed this process to record a payment that we received from a vendor for an outstanding credit balance. I thought I would then be able to apply the payment against the 2 credit memos to clear them. But, that doesn't appear to be the case. When I run an historical aged trial balance in AP, only the credit memos appear, not the payment, even though I used the vendor ID. Can/how do I apply the payment against these credit memos to clear the balance to zero?
You are amazing lady- Steps are mentioned so clear- i did that and it works perfrectly.