Do you sometimes wonder if you could access and gain insights into available inventory on the go?
Or view and respond to purchase orders by either approving or rejecting before you get on a plane? How about entering time on a project, before heading into a client meeting?
In a mobile first era, being able to complete tasks on the go is mandatory – and the mobile app framework of Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations lets you do just that.
Overview and Capabilities
The Dynamics 365 Unified Operations mobile app is power-packed with modern configurations and capabilities, making important business processes available through mobile workspaces. Once the mobile app is downloaded, users can sign in to the app and immediately begin to run business processes from their mobile devices.
Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations delivers significant mobile capabilities including purpose-built workspaces for various functions such as time and expenses entry and approval, invoices, inventory on-hand, and more. There is a lot you can do with the mobile app framework to increase productivity:
- Custom mobile workspaces - Develop and publish custom mobile apps with little or no coding.
- Offline capabilities - Optimize offline capabilities using the Business Logic Extensibility Framework and continue to access business data even when offline or with intermittent
- Point-and-click workspace designer - Easily design mobile workspaces tailored to your business needs and access all Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations’ features such as security, and labels.
- Mobile device capabilities - Take full advantage of mobile device features like GPS, maps, camera, and more.
- Enhanced notes - Write a note in-line within a form to view relevant details and preview the attached images.
Create Your Own Mobile Workspaces
The mobile app framework in Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations allows you to create your own mobile workspace for the required business process easily. Here are some quick steps to follow while building a custom mobile workspace -
Key Highlights Include:
- The workspaces offer a new look and feel.
- Layouts are more compact, and optimised to give essential info at a glance with minimal scrolling.
- With similar forms also grouped together, you can get the info you need faster.
- You can create notes when you’re in a form, and view relevant details while writing your note.
- You can also get a preview of attached images in notes, and see them at a glance without opening them individually.
Build the Right Mobile App Strategy
Although the mobile app framework of Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations helps in designing apps that give your team access to data whenever they need it, it is important to first have an intelligent strategy in place – to ensure workflows are easy to use, and are directed to the right team members. Here are some tips to consider for a successful mobile strategy:
- Identify which employees will benefit the most from mobile capabilities – sales, remote workers, warehouse employees.
- Classify the business areas and processes where mobile capabilities work seamlessly.
- Find out which other applications need to integrate with Dynamics 365 to facilitate access to real-time data – Power BI, Microsoft Flow.
- Personalize workflows such that users only see the data they need – reduce frustration and improve efficiency and productivity of every user.
- Make sure you publish the apps across popular app store / play store– test operations on each platform and ensure widespread adoption.
Enabling users to complete key tasks anytime, anywhere is compelling organizations to make a majority of functions mobile. Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations offers a quality mobile app framework that is easy to configure and use, and boasts of a range of modern features. Build cutting-edge apps using the easy-to-use designer, create simplified forms, leverage offline functionality, and improve the speed and efficiency with which you do daily tasks. Customize workflows and workspaces, and get all your work done wherever you are.
About the Author - Manoj Nair
Manoj Nair is a seasoned IT professional with over 12 years of experience in Software Consultancy, ERP Implementation, Testing, ISV Development & Client Management. He is a Senior Project Manager at Indusa and is responsible of managing various software programs through cross functional coordination.