Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft is continuously adding new features to improve reporting, increase collaboration and decrease inefficiencies. Take a look at some of the recent improvements made to Dynamics GP from Dynamics GP 2015 to Dynamics GP 2016 R2 and perhaps you will discover a recent enhancement that will make your organization run more...dynamically.
All-in-one Document views
The All-in-one view makes it simple to review a document and anything related to it, such as an order or payment, in a simple intuitive inquiry. This was introduced in Dynamics GP 2015 R2 for purchasing and Dynamics GP 2016 for sales and inventory.
The usefulness of All-In-One Views is found in the ability to click on a transaction in the window and have all related transactions display. So if a vendor calls in and asking about an invoice, you can enter in the invoice number and see any payment, receipt, credit, PO, miscellaneous charge or finance charge related to the invoice, all in one screen!
One of the most useful new features of GP has been the implementation of Workflow. Workflow was introduced in GP 2013 and at that time Workflow was only applicable to payables. Each subsequent release of GP has expanded on the Workflow functionality as it has implemented new features and included it in more modules.
- General Ledger batch approval
- Payables batch approval
- Vendor Approval
- Receivables batch approval
- Employee skills approval
- Project expense report approval
GP 2015 R2
- Payables Transaction Approval
- Ability to include document added to transaction or record in email for approval
- Word templates for batch approval workflow
- Workflow condition management
- Workflow reassignment notifications
SmartList is one of THE best features of Dynamics GP because it makes it so easy to inquire, extract and analyze Dynamics GP data. Recent enhancements to SmartList make it easier to view data and save favorites.
GP 2015 R2
- Display debits before credits
- Default SmartList Visibility – the ability to set a SmartList to be visible to the System, a specific company, a User Class or a specific user ID.
- Analytical Accounting Transaction SmartLists now include more data
- Import and export SmartLists from SmartList Designer
- SmartLists created in SmartList Designer have default columns defined in the SmartList Options window
- Export numbers to Excel, formatted as numbers
- Create SmartList from the Favorite using SmartList Designer
GP 2016 R2
- SmartList favorite protection
- SmartList Designer SmartLists available in Advanced Lookups
The web client lets users access Dynamics GP with just a web browser on any device. Each version brings new features and improvements to the web client.
- Canadian Payroll
- More updated appearance
- Support for additional browsers and mobile devices
- Open Web Client windows using search
GP 2016 R2
- Power BI on Web Client Home page
- Additional Management Reporter Integration Options means that you can choose either General Ledger and/or Analytical Accounting data when building reports
- Management Reporting navigation integration
GP 2016 R2
- Support secure connection (https) to Management Reporter service
Other/Misc. New Features
- Intercompany Enhancements
- Inquiry screens shows more, including destination company and offset accounts used.
- Change made in originating company is also made destination companies.
- Warning of vendors that have purchase orders - displays a warning that open purchase orders exist in the system before the transaction can be saved or posted.
- Fixed Assets year-end close report
- Edit and re-send email messages that contain sales of purchasing documents
- Additional Payment Terms options
GP 2015 R2
- Automatically deposit cash receipts
- Date effective tax rates
- Enable email on all Purchase Order and Sales Orders document types
- Sales visual for customer over credit limit
- Self Service user type added
- Historical Received Not Invoiced Report
- Mask Employee Social Security Numbers on Reports
- Combine General Ledger Inquiry
- Time Management App
- Service Based Architecture
- Scriptable Provisioning & Management
- Configurable OData Service points added
- OData Service deployment enhancements
- Power BI reports can be added to home pages
- Budget import exception report
- Scotia Bank EFT format added as a default EFT file format
- Analytical Accounting user access settings
- Payables batch credit card payment option
- Deposit cash receipts batches automatically
- Prepay purchase order total
- Document Attach
- Ability to scan multiple pages
- Edit attachments that flow to transactions
- Project Accounting enhancements
- Project expenses – document attachments
- Project Accounting fields in Purchase Requisition Entry
- Add Unit Cost field in PTE Employee Expense window
- Project Time Entry reports added
GP 2016 R2
- Indicate the name of person editing a batch in the message "Batch is being edited by another user"
- Distribution Line Display opens expanded
- Credit Limit Warning Calculation for unposted Credit Documents
- POP to FA Link to Include Taxes
- Link credit card invoices to original invoices
- Add Bank Rec history table and do transaction history removal
- Save Fixed Asset ID with suffix
- SafePay file displays Check Name from the Check
- Display Tax Percent for Historical Transactions
- Cancel PO when linked to a Requisition
- Project Accounting Enhancements
- PA Timesheet Status Report
- PA Line Item Distributions added for all transaction entry windows in Project Accounting
Voting on New Features
Have you ever copied the Security of one user to a new user? Or sent a broadcast message to all users in the system? These are just 2 examples of new GP features that Prophet has suggested, that have become implemented in new releases of GP. Microsoft doesn’t choose the new features with each release arbitrarily, they listen to what their customers are asking for. It’s this type of collaboration between Microsoft and their user base that ensures their products are always up to date and able to meet their customers’ accounting needs.
To schedule a Dynamics GP upgrade, demo, or training session, please contact