A visitor to one of my earlier blogs, “Human Resources and ERP are a Powerful Combination” emailed me a question about the workflow engine for Microsoft Dynamics AX's HR module.
Specifically he asked, "we have found the AX Workflow engine is not extended into the HR module (like it is for other modules) and our prospect wants to onboard new employees, and then fire off workflow (i.e. perhaps to the I.T. department to have them set them up a login to the network, another to supply a laptop etc etc). Did you provide this with the AX workflow, or was is something that was developed?"
My answer to him:
I understand exactly what you would like to do and have just completed doing exactly that for a client. My client had the same needs, in that they wanted the HR Manager to kick off a process which causes the system to trigger a series of events during onboarding. Here is how it works:
- After interview process, application status of candidate is changed to ‘Hire’ or ‘Reject’
- If Hire, workflow is triggered to do the following:
- Notify IT to prepare network login, cell phone, and laptop
- Notify security to prepare badge and parking pass
- Notify Admin to schedule orientation class and prepare materials
- Notify department head of new employee
We also do a similar workflow to manage the hiring process. The issue was that like you, I found the out-of-the-box system resources lacking for doing this. You could try to manage it by setting up ‘Alerts’ but that is not very user friendly to manage. What we ended up doing was going with an ISV called Elevate HR (
By: John Hannan, RSM -