Last year I blogged about Microsoft Dynamics SL and how it compares to Dynamics GP. Well, coming soon is a major new release of SL which will add some great capabilities. Dynamics SL 2011 is a robust edition of an already feature-rich product. Look for these exciting
Overall Useability – the menu system and user interface has been enhanced in many ways, including:
- Login to multiple companies at once, with color coded cues.
- “Print screen” function
- Export from SL to Excel from screen grids
- Attach documents to any screen or record
Reporting – the ways to get data out of your system has been greatly enhanced:
- New Quick Query tool –robust query tool with predefined views, the ability to create your own custom view, user-friendly column names, views defined by user security, and export to Excel. Think GP’s Smartlist--only in some ways more powerful!
- Management Reporter – the next generation of FRx Financial Reporter is now available for SL. This product is FRx rewritten on the latest technology to utilize SQL, VB.Net, 64-bit, etc.
Integrations and the rest of the Microsoft Stack – additional enhancements and “hooks” to the rest of the Microsoft solution stack you may be using:
- Quick Send (electronic document delivery) enhancements – print a document via Quick Send, correct emails and resend, one time sends.
- Doc Share (automatic interface with SharePoint to store key documents) – save to different formats, use subfolders, and a new Doc Share SDK to build out other SL to SharePoint document based interactions.
- Web Services – Customer and Customer Activity web services are now available (great for CRM related integrations). Project budget and financial information available. Framework and SDK for additional web development.
- Better reporting of Crystal or SSRS reports to SharePoint.
Project Related Enhancments – SL’s already powerful Project Management and Accounting Capabilities have been improved further. So if you were looking for an excuse to upgrade your Dynamics SL system, here it is:
- Tight Integration with Inventory and Order Management modules
- Two allocation methods per project
- Project to GL Reconciliation Report
- Report Pack for Government Contractors, adding 13 new reports.
- Project Transaction Transfer to easily move transactions from one project to another.
Dynamics SL 2011 has been in beta for a while, but is planned to release in the second quarter of 2011. I feel this new release makes a very powerful mid-market ERP solution even more formidable and well worth a close look for those considering a new ERP solution.